Sunday 21 June 2009

Option 1: Installing the stock Heatsink
































Black Edition AMD 6400+ package MAY or MAY NOT include the heatsink today. Also, this product is getting rare and it is probably difficult to get. Non black edition are included with stock fan definitely.




1) Even though you install the stock AMD fan into the system and start your computer, you will not be bothered with the fan noise. It is quiet enough.


2) Please look at the pic above and prepare them. You can see Thermal paste, CPU, Heatsink with fan, Dust cleaners and Mini Fan controller. This Mini Fan controller is not ''must have'' but for a bit of interest, you might want to use this device to control the speed of fans in the system. Mini Fan controller will slot into the Floppy Disk area nicely.



Also, You need to have a good thermal solutions and the cleaner (of the thermal grease) The ones that I use are :
a) OCZ Freeze
or
Akasa Thermal Compound (I found this effective too)

b) Akasa Tim Clean (with the toilet tissue)























Make sure you clean the current thermal grease before you apply a new one on the new AMD 6400+ cpu.

3) Open the cover, unscrew the shroud and remove it. Make sure you remove the cables beforehand so that it is easier to remove the dell heatsink shroud. Clean the dusts and finally, remove this bracket.
As shown in the pic, please ''Use Something'' to make a square hole so that the remaining part can be used to fit in the clipping hole of the heatsink.
You have to actually use the heatsink (clip hole area i mean..) to measure the length of that area and adjust the length until it fits into the clip hole firmly and not slippery.

4) Place this bracket on the other side as shown above and screw it firmly. Note that arrow is telling you to make sure AGAIN that part is the same length as the clip hole of your heatsink otherwise the heatsink will fall off. Apply the Thermal Grease on the NEW CPU. (Note: Please study yourself how to install the CPU if you don't know how.)

5) Place your heatsink. Make sure that the clip hole is secure. DON'T PUSH THE HEATSINK HARD otherwise the thermal paste will migrate out of the CPU area !!

6) Tie up the side hole of the heatsink and the ''motherboard heatsink hole'' with metal wire as shown above.
7) If you are still uncomfortable with this non standard procedure of clipping, add another security on the plastic arm, tie up or add another metal wire to make sure it doesn't unclip(one day). As this is not attached to the motherboard officially, you really need to watch for the cpu temperature just for precaution if something happens in future.































8)These are the final pics. Nice and clean. There are Plenty of other spaces left to Modify as you like.


Pros:
No need to buy another heatsink(if this was included in your CPU Box)
Impressively cools down the CPU and quiet operation even the fan spins 100%

Cons:
None at the moment

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pics and suggestions. I have an E521 and just bought a 9800GTX+. Frustratingly, it doesn't fit under the massive black cooling shroud. I bought a smaller heatsink today with saddle clips like this one. I've been studying this page for ideas.

Thanks for the exhaustive info.

T.OINARI said...

Dear Anonymous

Hi, first of all, thanks for viewing my webpage. Yes, this page is still not perfect but is meant for giving ideas for future upgrade of E521. The biggest concern is the combination of the good heatsink and the graphic card as they are very big today.

I still have a lot of things to update in my webpage. Using the stock heatsink that comes with the new CPU is the best option to acquire a good temperature. The result that I got from Noctua heatsink is vague and it is not absolute. This is mostly due to the climate and the temperature outside.

I will update fully in November. Any questions and even further helps are all welcome. Thank you.

Warmest Regards
Tomo

James said...

I have a cpu overheating issue i believe

I have a Dell Dimension E521

Originally it was
AMD athlon 64
2.4ghz
1gb ram
Rubbish graphics card
Rubbish intergrated sound card

I did some stuff to it and it is now a

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual
Core processor 6400 +
3.21Ghz
2Gb ram
Nvidia Geforce 7950 GT
Creative SB X-Fi soundcard


I wasn't able to install the new Fan/Heatsink that came with the new processor because of the dell motherboards layout. So I had to use the old one which the heatsink is on top but the fan is at the side of it. I made some minor adjustments (After the fan went nuts) and it now runs but it is still overheating. I use Speedfan to check heat.

Idle

GPU 55C
HD0 28C
Core 28C
Core 55C
Ambient 0C

When i play COD5 the GPU goes to about 70C

I do notice jerkyness when it gets that hot.


This seems do-able. Is it still working for you?

T.OINARI said...

Dear James


Hi James!. I have two things to tell you.

1. your CPU temperature of Core one is ok but the Core two is hot.
This is because that your current heatsink (that originally came with your E521) is not highly conductive. You should really consider installing the Optiplex heatsink I suggested Or Noctua if you can afford it. Also, this is a general staff but make sure you update your CPU driver. There should be around 10C difference between each cores.

2. Your GPU temperature is absolutely fine. But those jerkyness will only appear on the Nvidia 7000 series. I must really suggest you to get Asus GTS250 or 9800GT or something else as they are much cheaper now. I remember I had a trouble with my previous 7600GT. Do not go for ATI for a moment as they are having a big trouble with the heat and driver issue.


Just for a reference, this is my speedfan result.
I use GTS250 and the Noctua heatsink with two fan attached.

GPU 45
HD0 36
HD1 40
Core 1 36 (max 50)
Core 2 45 (max 60)
Ambient 0

I have swapped all the fan to blow towards front so now, the air is sucked from behind and pushed at front making my GPU cooler. The hot air from the CPU heats up the GPU so I came up with that idea.

Tell me how you get on through my email.

Warmest Regards

Tomo

James said...

ok cool. I was thinking of using the amd athlon 6400+ fan/heatsink like you did, using wire to attatch. But maybe the optiplex heatsink idea will work.

That seems like an easier option to me atleast.

You think that buying this heatsink will make it a fair amount cooler then?

And it fits, which is beautiful news.

James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
T.OINARI said...

Dear James


Yes, it does show a difference. I have one more advise. buy a noctua 80mm fan and insert it at the back of the shroud once you have finished replacing the heatsink to the optiplex one. That will significantly reduce the temperature honestly.

The average idle temperature you should get is 34C in general. I get 28C and 55C when full load which is a safe range.

Also, the OCZ freeze thermal grease works well too. I haven't tried the silver grease one with the optiplex heatsink but at least i use it.

James said...

Ok. I will probably get that heatsink and see how it does. Then i f i need to get that other fan I will

Are you suggesting I use a Noctua fan aswell as the fan thats already in there? Or replacing the old fan with the noctua one.

Thanks

T.OINARI said...

Dear James



The main front Fan (120mm) is not necessary to be replaced so yes, if you can slot in the 80mm Noctua fan at the back of the shroud, then that will do. Further more, if you add two more slim 80mm fan at the rear, it will also reduce the temperature of the case as well.

Ok? so leave the front fan (clean it if it is dusty) and just add the 80mm noctua fan facing the Graphic card.

And James? It would be better for me if you can email me rather than chatting here. I am planning to make a forum section as well soon.

Regards

Tomo

Unknown said...

hey i wanted to know if you could tell me what did you use to connect/power the stock fan and could you tell me the name of the mini fan controller

Unknown said...

and can you please tell me what you used to connect it to the power supply

T.OINARI said...

Dear Joshua,


Hi, this particular setup is not done by me but I can tell you some bits. The three pins stock fan you see is directly connected to the three pins to molex converter(Eg: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-3-Pin-Connector-FAN-CABLE/dp/B000V6T5HW)
.The molex cable can be connected directly connected to the PSU. This obviously will make the fan spin at 100% all the time. And so, there is this mini fan controller which is needed. If you get the fan controller, you don't need this three pin to four pin converter at all.

Now, I have been looking online for this particular small one (floppy drive size 3.5 inch) and found a nice looking one here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811991006

I would also add that anything as big as dvd drive (5.25 inch) would do too unless you have the two drive bays occupied. Or, perhaps an external fan controller might do as well.

Above link is just for a reference only. You may be able to get it elsewhere perhaps close to your place.


Hope it is of some help here.

Warmest Regards

Tomo